Voters in the South West are demanding a People’s Vote by a clear margin, a YouGov poll on behalf of the People’s Vote campaign, revealed on August 9th. It is the first significant test of public opinion in the region since the Brexit referendum in 2016.
Some key findings from the poll of over 1,000 people living in the South West include:
- Voters wanting a say on any final Brexit deal negotiated by the government by a clear margin of 42% to 35%.
- If talks break down and the choice is between staying in the EU or no deal, that margin widens to 47% to 27%.
- Having voted to Leave in 2016, the South West now backs staying in the EU by 51% to 49%.
- 76% of Labour voters in the region now want to stay in the EU, versus just 24% who still want to leave.
- Young people in the South West overwhelmingly want to stay in the EU, by a margin of 86% to 14%.