My column in the local press has been cancelled

Posted on

My fortnightly column in the Midweek Herald, Sidmouth Herald and Exmouth Journal has been discontinued. The editors have told me that they have too many political columns – but regular contributions by three Conservative politicians, Simon Jupp MP, Cllr John Hart and police commissioner Alison Hernandez, will continue, while on the other side only Cllr Paul Arnott and occasionally Richard Foord MP remain.

I’m not complaining, but it seems to me that with a General Election approaching where the East Devon seats will be more closely fought than they have been for a generation, the press should be scrupulously maintaining political balance.

I’d like to thank all the readers who’ve given me such positive feedback over the last three years – it’s made it all worthwhile. My apologies to those who thought I wasn’t outspoken enough, and to the gentleman who told me last year that I was too anti-Tory – perhaps now you understand why!

2 thoughts on “My column in the local press has been cancelled

    Derek Graydon said:
    May 15, 2023 at 4:14 pm

    You will be greatly missed I always enjoyed reading your column. Make sure you keep your facebook comments going.

    Like

      Martin Shaw responded:
      May 15, 2023 at 4:41 pm

      Thanks, Derek. My posts from Seaton & Colyton Matters will continue to go on to Facebook.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s